Friday, September 18, 2009

Eh Mera Geet

This Song of Mine

Let no one sing
This song of mine
This song is mine alone
I shall die singing it.

This song is darker
than the earth
Older than the sun
Lifetime after lifetime
its words have travelled
down with me
No one else
should bring them to their lips
This song is for me alone to sing
And then die singing it

This song is full of pain
Its sound is strange
Like autumn cranes shrieking
on distant mountains
Like a clamour of birds
piercing the forest dawn
Like a dark night wind
swiftly sighing through
tall grasses
This song is for me alone
to sing

When we die,
My songs and I,
The arbiters of separation
Will follow us
to our grave
In one voice they will marvel
“Only a few are given lives
like this, full of such pure,
undiluted pain”
Don’t attempt to sing
This song of mine

This song is mine,
Mine alone, to sing.

No comments:

Post a Comment